What are Lab-Grown Diamonds?
In today’s diamond market there are two different types of diamonds, underground diamonds and above ground diamonds.
Underground diamonds are those that are mined traditionally, and above ground diamonds are those that are created in a lab.
The lab-grown diamonds come in both CVD (Chemical Vapor Deposition) and HPHT (High-Temperature High Pressure).
- CVD lab-grown diamonds are type lla (most-purest diamond) when tested with a Diamond tester they test as a diamond. CVD Diamonds do not have fluorescence.
- HPHT is also grown in a lab but is of lower quality and will not always pass as a diamond with a diamond tester.
All diamonds above 0.30ct will either have an IGI (The International Gemological Institute) or a GCAL (Gem Certification & Assurance Lab) certificate. All lab-grown diamonds are also laser inscribed with LG (Lab-Grown) on the girdle to avoid any confusion with a mined diamond.
It takes approximately 500 hours to grow a 1ct CVD Lab-grown diamond.
About Lab Grown Diamonds
Lab-grown diamonds are not a new thing. Since the 1950’s diamonds have been grown in labs but were used for industrial purposes due to them not being gem quality.
Much progress has been made in the last decade with the lab-grown diamonds, and scientists have been able to now grow gem grade quality diamonds that can be used in the jewellery industry.
There are two ways to create lab-grown diamonds: CVD (Chemical Vapor Deposition) method and the HPHT (High-Temperature High Pressure) method.
The CVD method grows a diamond from a Type IIA seed whereas the HTHP method creates a diamond from a metal catalyst.
CVD lab-grown diamonds have the same chemical composition as underground mined diamonds, they are identical. No human can determine the difference between a lab-grown and a mined diamond, they need to be tested by machinery.
According to the FTC (Federal Trade Commission), CVD lab-grown diamonds are Diamonds.
Sustainability and Conflict-free
Lab-grown diamonds have become a popular alternative to the mined diamond for a couple of reasons:
- They are conflict-free. We know the origin of the diamond.
- Lab-grown diamonds are eco-friendly. The energy used to create the diamonds mostly comes from wind turbines and no earth is displaced to extract diamonds from the ground.
Which one is better, Lab-grown or Mined diamonds?
At Stelios Jewellers, we are believers in educating our clients about what is available on the market. The choice between Lab-grown and mined diamonds is a personal one.
Lab-grown diamond positives:
- 30 – 40% cheaper than a mined diamond
- Conflict free – know the origins
Mined diamond positives:
- Natural resource, every diamond is unique and has been formed by the earth over millions of years.
Lab-grown diamond negatives:
- As technology and science become more refined, the stones will devalue as the supply will become saturated.
Mined diamond negatives:
- Impact on the earth
- Conflict diamonds – Although all diamonds sourced by Stelios Jewellers are conflict-free
Create a Lab-Grown Diamond Jewellery Piece Today
At Stelios Jewellers, we offer both ethically mined diamonds and lab-grown diamonds. For further information on our lab-grown diamonds, please feel free to make an appointment at our Perth studio with our jewellers and sales staff to discuss your requirements.